We are leading off tonight with a huge shout-out to the country of Niger. For the first time in their history, they have convicted someone of slavery. Most people might ask what took them so long, but I am choosing to focus on the positive that it actually happened. Nowhere to go but up from here. Also in Niger, President Goodluck Jonathan (yes, that is a presidential name and not the title of Nick Jr. show) condemned "international terrorism" and vowed to wage "war" against Boko Haram. Boko Haram, remember, kidnapped 300 Nigerian girls earlier this month. There are lightyears of progress ahead of Niger in confronting terrorism within their borders, but let us give credit when it is due. Chalk up a good day for our friends over in central Africa.
On a more lively front, I am pleased to announce that, on the advice of fellow PCV´s, I have discovered Hostal Aqui in Salinas. Hostal Aqui is a joint owned by a retired man from Kentucky, they offer room and beverage discounts to Peace Corps folk, and most importantly, carry NFL Sunday Ticket. In addition, they throw a kick-ass party for every American holiday...which sounds super fun considering only a specific group of gringos will be lighting fireworks on the beach down here come 4th of July. This afternoon I indulged in the best cheeseburger I have ever had, or it seemed to be considering I have been deprived for five months, and watched the first round of The Memorial tournament. Which, by the way, after Rory´s 63 today, do yall think he got in the car and started blasting Jay-Z´s 99 problems. I mean I´m just saying, she ain´t one no mas.
No comments:
Post a Comment