Family: such an easy and simple word. Its meaning, though, is anything but. Yes, traditionally the word "family"
labeled those with whom you shared blood; however, in my twenty-eight years and
six months, I've come to define it as more of a concept than a label. Maybe part of that is because I was one of
the 61% of children who was a victim of divorced parents. Don't get me wrong, I've never once had to
question whether my mother or father loved me with all of their heart; however,
growing up in such turmoil does give you a new perspective on what
"family" is. So with my broadened
understanding of family, I can say that I'm incredibly fortunate to be blessed
as being a part of several families. Of
course it all begins with the Miles and Siner families. They're the bloodlines that I will ultimately
pass onto my children, and the clans that have always been there for me no
matter what. How about these other
families? In chronological order (not
order of significance), I'm also a member of the Brookville High School family,
the Flaherty family, the Hampden-Sydney College family, the Camp Wahoo family,
the First Baptist Church of OKC family, and now even the Covington family. While each of these families are a vibrant
part of who I am, these past few weeks I've been lucky enough to be welcomed
into two more: the Hidalgo family and the OMN-111 family.
First, the Hidalgo family. For my first twelve weeks in Ecuador, from
mid-January to mid-April, I will be living in their home. I would say I will also be a member of their
family for those twelve weeks, but I've recently learned that family membership
isn't subject to a strict three month term…more on that in a few. Suddenly, on a Saturday morning, I had a new
Ecuadorian father (Jorge), mother (Rocio), and two sisters (Pame and
Carla). Jorge and Rocio work in the
local education system, Pame commutes to university in Quito, and Pame is in
collegio (the equivalent of high school).
I am the eighth Peace Corps volunteer they have hosted, and it seems the
Hidalgo gringos are quite the bunch.
Three of their previous PCV's were in Quito last week for some training,
and if you're within 50 km of Tumbaco, Mama Roci isn't taking "no"
for an answer! Peace Corps actually goes
through a pretty intense screening process for host families, both in Tumbaco
and at-site. Some of the highlights:
each family must provide the PCV his/her own bedroom, it must have a lockable
door (with the PCV having the key), it can't have visible electrical wiring,
the family must provide breakfast and dinner (Mama Roci also packs my lunch),
and the family cannot conduct business within the home. That last thing may seem interesting to some
Americans, where working from home often means shooting off a late email or
joining a conference call from your basement desk. In Ecuador, it has a much different meaning
because a lot of small business owners often live and work out of the same
structure. It is not at all uncommon to
walk into the corner tienda (aka convenience store), and the door behind the
counter lead to the owner’s domicile instead of some stock room. Needless to say, the United States Government
has decided it is best for PCV's not to be hosted in this type of environment. After 4+ weeks, I can fully say that I'm
incredibly lucky to be a member of this family. We have a two-level 4br, 3ba house within a gated
family compound, I have a large bedroom with a ton of closet space, it has a full
bed, several reliable electrical outlets, a desk, WiFi, and my own
bathroom. I'm also about a ten minute
walk from the center of town, and three blocks to the bus stop. This may look primitive through a first-world
lens, but some of my colleagues are in homes that lack internet, has just one
bathroom for the whole family, and/or the volunteer bedroom resembles a large
closet with a mattress.
My day with the Hidalgo’s begins at 0630, and
breakfast is on the table by the time I emerge from my shower around 7ish. Breakfast is usually an egg (hard-boiled or
fried), some fruit, a piece of bread, and fresh juice. Juice is a staple of Ecuadorian culture, and
this isn't just a glass of Minute-Made or Ocean Spray. In fact, one of the first things everybody
buys for their kitchen is a blender. My
morning juices have varied from something that resembles cold apple cider, a
frothy strawberry concoction, and what I’m convinced is a banana milkshake
without the ice cream. I'm always out
the door by 0730 to catch the 0750 bus to our training compound. The four mile bus ride from Tumbaco to
"school" in Collaqui is a daily adventure that makes single-track
sharing on DC Metro’s Orange Line seem luxurious. Most often, the bus is already packed when it
picks us up, and if I can get more than one foot on-board as we pull-off...then
it's going to be a good day. Not to
alarm you, but that last sentence is not hyperbole. More often than not, I ride with at least one
leg, one buttcheek, or one arm hanging out the door as the only thing keeping
me from a tuck-and-roll situation is a metal bar, or another gringo holding
onto a metal bar. Yet, Peace Corps
policy prohibits us from riding motorbikes or in the back of a pickup truck…weird. Training involves an 8-9 hour day of highly
intensive and supremely structured culture acclimation. I’ll spare the details of that for now,
because my next post will be a deep dive into the training portion of my
service. When our exhausted day hits
1700 hours, we all typically make the 5-6 km walk from Collaqui back to Tumbaco
along the Ciclo Via, which is a non-vehicular path cut through the Pinchinca
countryside. By the time I make it home
around 1830, I have enough time to check some emails before dinner, after which
I'll probably spend a couple hours studying, and then the night is capped off
with family conversation around the table with cafe and pan (coffee and bread).
Despite having every minute planned out Monday
through Friday, mi familia has made amazing efforts to show me Ecuador. On my first weekend, Mama Roci, Carla, and
Sonia (a family friend) took me into Quito's colonial district...which was
absolutely gorgeous! We walked the cobblestone
La Ronda and toured Ecuador's Presidential Palace. On that tour it was very easy to see the role
of Catholicism within Ecuadorian culture, as just off of the state dining room
sets a very obvious and ornate Catholic alter/chapel. The strength of Catholicism is further
displayed by a lot of Ecuadorians surface dismissal of any Christian faith
other than theirs. Now, I don't think
this perception is rooted in evil or hatred; rather it is derived from confusion. When I asked my host mom on our first
Saturday if we would be going to church the following morning, she asked if I
was Catholic. My response, "No, I'm
Protestant.” She was then blown away that
I wanted to go to church, and wondered why.
In her mind, in that moment, protestant me didn’t like Jesus and ignored
the Virgin Mary. Her reactionary
interrogation included my adoration for Jesus Christ, the significance of
fully-submerged baptism, a child’s eternity since devotion and salvation is
dependent on a person's own response, why we Mary's story isn’t promoted more,
and so on. It really came down to me
putting my English NKJV Bible directly beside her Spanish Bible, her confirming
that they indeed matched up, and her acknowledgment the different
understandings of our same faith were rooted in the same text. The next morning I experienced my first
Ecuadorian Catholic service, and I think me putting some money in the offering
went a long way to smooth things over.
As a side note, the Catholics do offering right. Rather than an open plate, which makes your
level of tithing obvious to your neighbors, a velvet bag on a stick (similar to
a hobo carry-on) is extended down the pew and everyone submerges their hand
just into the bag and drops their offering.
I was also very surprised at how casual the service was. It was like the LifeChurch (OKC reference) of
Quito. I mean the Christmas Eve service
that Andrea and I went to in Tulsa was full-on pomp and circumstance, and that
was my expectation for this service. I’m
not going to lie, I was a little disappointed.
They sing though! Boy, do they sing! They even broke out into a spanish rendition
of "Battle Hymn of the Republic".
Even though the song was adapted to link the American Civil War with
Revelations’ judgment of the wicked, I’ve never heard it in a church setting…and
this is coming from a guy who grew up surrounded by Civil War battlefields. So once I settled down from Ecuador’s tribute
to Abe Lincoln, it came time to cross ourselves. In addition to the conventional north-south-east-west
crossing of your forehead and chest, they did one cross that I swear needed an
instruction manual. They went forehead,
lips, back to the forehead, chin, chest, lips, chest, and it kept going. I'm not sure whether I should've done the
hokey pokey or stolen second base. It
was intense.
The priest is a very young and energetic man, he
freely walks through the aisles during the sermon; which is a challenge
considering that the pews are full, people are standing ten-deep against the back
wall, and all of the children are sitting in miniature plastic lawn chairs
right at the steps of the stage....there's even a moment where all the children
are invited up and the priest places his hands on each of them. Interesting.
Just a piece of advice for all of you non-Catholic Christians who may
find yourself in a Catholic church, when it's time to receive communion: DON'T
GO! I swear I would've gotten less weird
looks if I had walked into the sanctuary dressed like Marilyn Manson. My experience within the church wasn't as
traumatic as a colleague's, though. On
the first night with his family, this young man (who identifies as an atheist)
was taken to a movie at his family's church.
Little did he know, it was a very graphic "you're going to
hell" type of flick. I didn't know
Hollywood had taken Dante's Divine Comedy to the big screen, but either way,
there it was. I can imagine it to be the
equivalent of America's fear-based theology, which revolves seeking salvation
this instant because the world will probably end in the next instant. Just my opinion, but I'm a man of faith
because I choose to sprint towards the love and grace of God rather than run
away from the damnation and fires of hell...but again, that's just me. Back to my colleagues, though.
I said at the outset of this post, that I now have
two new families. One is the Hidalgo's;
the other, Omnibus 111. Seriously, these
twenty-nine dedicated humanitarians are amazing people, if for no other reason
than they chose to sacrifice two years of their lives to impact those within
the developing world. Having spent
pretty much every day and night together for a month now, I can certainly say
that we are family. We are a diverse,
passionate, vibrant, dedicated, fun group...and I honestly don't know if I
would’ve survived the last four weeks without them. There are new grads, young professionals, a
middle-aged PhD, and retirees. We come
from Puerto Rico, the mid-Atlantic, the Great Lakes, Texas, Southern California,
Northern California, the Pacific NW, Hawaii, and Alaska. Some are devout believers, others are
non-believers. Some come here to teach
English, others come to bring environmental and economic assistance to ignored
villages. I am so very proud to say that
Peace Corps Ecuador Omnibus 111 (PC/E OMN111) is the perfect cross-section
representation of the United States of America, and there isn't a better group
to carry our star-spangled banner into a foreign country in the hopes of peace
and prosperity. It's almost comical at
how harmonious we have been. In a month,
the only disagreements are where we wanted to do dinner, or what time to meet
for the bus. Seriously. When's the last time you took a diverse group
of thirty, put them together for four weeks and had zero issues? Much less doing all that away from their
comfortable lives and loved ones, while learning a new language, adapting to a
new culture, and being constantly watched by everyone in our community (the
gringo fishbowl effect is real, yall).
Some of the highlights so far from OMN 111… About half the group visited Mitad del Mundo
a few weeks ago. For those of you with
spotty Spanish, it is the site about 15 km north of Quito that marks the
equator’s passage through Ecuador. Well,
or so they would like you to think.
Mitad del Mundo is a very touristy village with a prominent monument and
yellow line at its center, marking zero-degrees latitude. Sounds cool, right? If only it actually marked zero-degrees latitude. Hundreds of years ago, European settlers
decided on the equator being on this tract of land, and since then it has been
the quintessential tourist stop; however, in the late 90's, GPS shot that all
to pieces. The actual mark for
zero-degrees latitude is about 3km away from Mitad del Mundo. If only those silly Euros had a robotic
feminine voice telling it to turn left in .25 miles. It was cool though, even if just
symbolically, to stand with a foot in each hemisphere was significant. After roaming around Ecuador’s version of
South Of The Border, only those of you who have traveled I-95 through the
Carolina’s will get that reference, we loaded onto our bus and hiked a few km's
to Pululagua. Pululagua is a now-dormant
volcano that offers some of the best views mountain views I have ever seen. Just to give you an example of the different
subclimates within Ecuador, at Mitad del Mundo it was 90 and sunny, a few miles
and twenty minutes later at the Pululagua crater, it was in the low 50's and
rainy. Most of the group decided to hike
the steep and rocky path into the valley below, but with that old hiking attage
of "what goes down must come back up" in the back of my mind, I
decided to keep my perch and enjoy the view.
I mean really, I've been struggling with altitude my entire time here, and
being medivac'ed out of this crater because my surgically-repaired heart exploded
was not the Saturday afternoon I was looking for. So Rachel (my Spanish partner from El Paso)
and I spent the hour or so literally sitting amongst the clouds, and felt damn
good about it when we watched our compadres return to the top. I mean some of these folks are in amazing
shape, and they were totally struggling...yea, I would've blacked-out for sure.
There are so many other amazing experiences I can
share within these first four weeks: Super Bowl Sunday, our habitual Friday
night dinner and beer group dates, and killing a turkey for a family bbq are
all Top-10 play nominees. With that
though, this entry has just exceeded 2,600 words, and I still need to eat
dinner and get some work done!
A quick note about photos: my WiFi connection is
super spotty here, so they're unable to upload to Blogspot, but I'll try this
weekend to get a Flickr account lined-up.
In the meantime, they're all visible on my FB page and on my FB Photo
Albums page.
!Chao chao!
No comments:
Post a Comment